Saturday, August 22, 2009

my new adventure

About six weeks ago I received a very pretty cherry red legal sized envelope in the mail. It stated that the University of New Mexico was happy to re-admit me as a student for the Fall 2009 semester.

Since then I have been spending a lot of time getting the financial aid ready, talking with an advisor on campus, finding someone to watch Katie (thanks Stephanie), convincing work that I would not be available to work very much, and figuring out where to park (thanks Bishop Schaap!!). And I must not forget to mention all the time I spent registering, buying books, and my school supplies (that part was fun).

My new adventure starts Monday.

I am excited. I have always wanted to finish school, but often our circumstances made it very difficult. This time we are not going to let circumstances stop us. I. am. going. to. school. I. will. finish.

Financial aid will be my friend. Pell grants will be my best friend. It might have to pay our bills. We will make it work.

It will take me three years. Sadly they are not accepting to many of my Ricks credits. But it is only three years. It could be four, or five. It could be worse.

After all the struggles and stress I will become a high school teacher. I will be home with my kids during the summer and winter breaks. Home after school and available weekends to participate in their soccer, golf, baseball activities. Brandon won't have to work two jobs to make ends meet. Our family life will be better.

Only three years. I can do it. I am looking forward to it. Go LOBOS!

4 comments:

halls said...

I did not know you went to Ricks-when where you there?? Well you and I are in the same boat-I just finished registering for school-very excited but scared to death for Chemistry! Oh well good luck to you!

Bringhurst Family said...

You go girl. Make the sacrifice and climb the mountain.

Stef said...

Exciting! How fun to be able to go back to school and learn. I graduated, but a lot of the stuff I just crammed for...not really learning. I would go back...someday I will. Until then I will live vicariously through you! Love your picture of Katie, by the way.

Erin said...

Way to go Becca. Good luck!